- Statistics are defined as numerical data, and is the field of math that deals with the collection, tabulation and interpretation of numerical data.
- An example of statistics is a report of numbers saying how many followers of each religion there are in a particular country.
- An example of statistics is a math class offered in high schools and colleges.
- The definition of a statistic is a number, or a person who is an unnamed piece of data to be studied.
- When you have data on the average salary and the average number of children in a society, each of these different data points is an example of a statistic.
- When you are afraid you will be seen as just one of many generic teen mothers who has messed up her life, this is an example of a time when you are afraid of being a statistic.
- A numerical piece of information.
- A calculated numerical value (such as the sample mean) that characterizes some aspect of a sample set of data, and that is often meant to estimate the true value of a corresponding parameter (such as the population mean) in an underlying population.
- One viewed solely as a piece of statistical or numerical information: got laid off and became another statistic in the slumping economy.
Origin of statisticUltimately from New Latin statisticus of statecraft ; see statistics .
(comparative more statistic, superlative most statistic)
- Alternative spelling of statistical.
- A single item in a statistical study.
- A quantity calculated from the data in a sample, which characterises an important aspect in the sample (such as mean or standard deviation).
- A person, or personal event, reduced to being an item of statistical information.
- By dying from an overdose, he became just another statistic.
Back-formation from statistics.
- Do your homework before you adopt to make sure your Rottie isn't another statistic, and you will be rewarded with love and loyalty for many years.
- One often-cited statistic is that 25 percent of women who have an abortion for an unplanned pregnancy remain permanently childless.
- Fantasia released an inspirational book Life is Not a Fairy Tale detailing her inner strength and choices it took to keep from becoming another statistic.
- There are exercises, games, tests, and statistic trackers provided to help you quickly and easily increase your typing speed.
- If you've heard the often cited statistic that it costs a middle income family over $220,000 to raise a child from birth to age 18, you may be wondering if parenting on a budget is a lost cause.