- Lacking the usual or necessary number of workers, employees, or assistants.
- Sports a. Having fewer players on the ice or playing area than the opposing team, usually because of a penalty.b. Scored by a team that is short-handed: a short-handed goal.
(comparative more shorthanded, superlative most shorthanded)
(comparative more short-handed, superlative most short-handed)
- Lacking sufficient people or staff, as for a given task or job.
- They frequently found themselves short-handed on weekends.
- (team sports) Having, or occurring during an interval with, fewer than a full complement of players on the field, rink, or other venue of play.
- a short-handed goal
- (poker, of a table) Having fewer than the standard number of players.
- (poker) having fewer players than are normally involved in a game of that type
- With only six players that Texas hold 'em game is short handed.