play second fiddle
Hoa plays second fiddle to the manager of the wine store but she is better at selling because she is a professional sommelier.
An example of second fiddle is the Vice President who serves under and assists the President.
- A secondary role.
- One who plays a secondary role.
(plural second fiddles)
- (music) A fiddle part in harmony to the first fiddle.
- The second fiddle on that tune is almost as hard as the first fiddle.
- (music) The person playing second fiddle.
- I've been second fiddle in that band for ten years now.
- (idiomatic) A sidekick or subordinate, or the role of such a person.
- I'm tired of being your second fiddle!
- I'm tired of playing second fiddle to you.
terms related to "second fiddle"
- lead fiddle