(plural not guilties)
- (law) A formal plea by a defendant of not being culpable for the crime with which the defendant is charged.
- If you do not plead, a plea of not guilty will be entered for you.
- (law) A verdict or formal finding by the legal system that a defendant is not culpable for the crime with which the defendant was charged.
- A member of a jury or tribunal supporting acquittal, or a vote cast in support of acquittal.
- A person who has been acquitted of a crime.
- (law) Of a person, legally innocent of a crime which they have been accused of in a court of law.
- He was found not guilty because there was a reasonable doubt.
- (nonstandard) Innocent.
- The jury said he was not guilty. I knew he wouldn't have done something like that.