- Hometown, school, or parish pride or loyalty, as opposed to nationalism or patriotism
- Love or celebration of a woman's influence upon society; a women's equivalent to male patriotism
- Love of the motherland, as opposed to patriotism as love of the fatherland.
- Pacifist patriotism; love of society as opposed to love of the state
- Devotion to Mother Earth, ecology, sustainability, peace and the survival of the human species as long as possible.
Though attested since the mid 19th century, continued use of quotation marks, and comments that the author would like to be able to claim credit for the word but for it having been suggested by someone else, shows that it is often used as a neologism.
A blend of alma mater and patriotism, later reanalyzed as derived from matri- by analogy with patriotism