- a kind of engraving in which the effect is produced by lines of varying thickness and nearness to each other
- a plate engraved in this way
- a print from such a plate
line engravingline engraving
- a. A metal plate, used in intaglio printing, on the surface of which design lines have been engraved by hand.b. The process of making such an engraving.c. A print made from such an engraving.
- See line cut.
(plural line engravings)
- Engraving in which the effects are produced by lines of different width and closeness, cut with the burin upon copper or similar material; also, a plate so engraved.
- A picture produced by printing from such an engraving.
Part or all of this entry has been imported from the 1913 edition of Webster's Dictionary, which is now free of copyright and hence in the public domain. The imported definitions may be significantly out of date, and any more recent senses may be completely missing.