Origin of Kootenaysee Kootenay
alt. sp. of Kutenai
- river flowing from SE British Columbia through Mont. & Ida. into Kootenay Lake, thence into the Columbia River: 407 mi (655 km)also, in the U.S., sp. Koo′te·nai·
- elongated lake in the valley of this river, SE British Columbia: 168 sq mi (435 sq km)
Origin of Kootenayfrom a native name from uncertain or unknown; perhaps
- With its expansions, the narrow and deep Arrow lakes, it is an important waterway in the Kootenay region.
- FERNIE, an important city in the east Kootenay district of British Columbia.
- It is the capital of Kootenay county, and the shipping centre for the mining and lumbering district.