- the state of being indebted
- the amount owed; all one's debts
The definition of indebtedness is the state of owing something (usually money) to someone, or the total amount owed.
An example of indebtedness is when you owe the bank $100 and your friend $200.
- The state of being indebted.
- Something owed to another.
- Table B shows the total indebtedness of the Ottoman Empire, exclusive of tribute loans.
- In addition to the indebtedness of the national government, the individual states have also incurred funded debts of their own.
- The problems particularly of the primitive history were first brought into clear light by him, and all subsequent work upon the subject must acknowledge its indebtedness to him.
- On Virgil's indebtedness to Ennius see V.
- The bulk of this indebtedness has been contracted for the purpose of constructing railways, tramways, water-supplies, and other revenue-producing works and services, and it is estimated that only 8% of the total indebtedness can be set down for unproductive services.