(born Johannes Gensfleisch) 1400?-68; Ger. printer: reputedly the first European to print with movable type
- Although there are many websites that let you read free books online, Project Gutenberg, Classic Bookshelf, and the International Children's Digital Library are the most popular.
- Unlike other popular websites offering free book collections, Project Gutenberg also has foreign language titles and free audio books.
- Gutenberg and Shakespeare were among the patrons of the thirteen months in this calendar.
- Long ago, before Gutenberg, if you wanted to know something, you had to memorize it.
- The citizens espoused the cause of Diether, but their city was captured by Adolph; it was then deprived of its privileges and was made subject to the archbishop. Many of the inhabitants were driven into exile, and these carried into other lands a knowledge of the art of printing, which had been invented at Mainz by Johann Gutenberg in 1450.