- one who is leading in a race or competition
- a contestant or entry that runs best when in the lead
- a person who supports a political candidate, sports team, etc. because they are leading their race or competition
- One that is in a leading position in a race or other competition: the front-runner for the presidential nomination.
- A competitor who performs best when in the lead.
- Alternative spelling of front runner.
(plural front runners)
- (idiomatic) The most likely winners in a contest, election, etc.
- Scolari and Curbishley were among the front runners for the vacant England job, but McClaren got the job in the end.
- According to the media, she is the front-runner in the forthcoming election.
- (finance, business) One who engages in front running.
- This is also the portion where the front-runner contestants pull ahead of the other entrants, so if you're planning to enter, be sure to put a lot of thought and creativity into your costume.
- Find out why a tenacious little company swept past some of the bigger brands to become a front-runner in the race to capture the favor of watch lovers.
- It is no doubt that Victoria's Secret remains a front-runner in the world of designer lingerie.