The capital and largest city of Sierra Leone, in the western part of the country on the Atlantic Ocean. It was settled in 1792 by freed slaves sent from Canada by British abolitionists.x
- The capital city of Sierra Leone
- Of Freetown, Sierra Leone.
- FREETOWN, capital of the British colony of Sierra Leone, West Africa, on the south side of the Sierra Leone estuary, about 5 m.
- Freetown is picturesquely situated on a plain, closed in behind by a succession of wooded hills, the Sierra Leone, rising to a height of 1700 ft.
- Freetown was the first place in British West Africa granted local self-government.
- Both commercially and strategically Freetown is a place of importance.