- the start of a race in which the contestants are already moving as they pass the starting line
- any rapid beginning
flying startflying start
- Sports A racing start in which the contestants are already in full motion when they cross the starting line.
- A quick or auspicious beginning. Also called In both senses also called running start .
(plural flying starts)
- (idiomatic) An especially good start.
- The new restaurant got off to a flying start, packing out every night.
- The start of a sports event in which the competitors are moving when they pass the starting line or initial jump point.
From sailboat races, where the ships should be 'flying' under full sail as they cross the starting line.