- in mountain climbing, an oval metal ring with a snap link used to fasten a rope to the piton
- a similar coupling device, as for keychains, luggage tags, etc.
An oblong metal ring with a hinged and spring-loaded gate, used in activities such as mountaineering to connect a running rope to another piece of equipment.
Origin of carabinerGerman Karabiner short for Karabinerhaken hook for a carbine from Karabiner carbine from French carabine ; see carbine .
- A metal link with a gate that can open and close, generally used for clipping ropes to anchors or other objects.
Shortened from German Karabinerhaken.
- Depending on the size of the strap on your purse, choose a carabiner that will fit over it.
- Another solution is to use a carabiner clip as a key holder.