- a road or path other than the main one, esp. one not used very much; side road; bypath
- a subsidiary activity, line of study, etc.
- A side road. Also called byroad .
- A secondary or arcane field of study.
- He didn't even mind the caravan of slow moving campers and motor homes that crawled along the summer byway, frequently stopping for photos of the majestic scenery before them.
- But it is a byway of thought.
- It is only after years of this sort of practice that even great men have learned to marshal the legion of words which come thronging through every byway of the mind.
- Minneapolis is known as having one of the best parks systems in the United States, with its parks all connected to form the Grand Rounds Scenic Byway.
- Latham is also close to the Vischer Ferry Nature and Historic Preserve, a 600-acre preserve that is part of the Mohawk Towpath Byway.