- the point at which a rocket's fuel or oxidizer is completely burned up and the rocket enters its free-flight phase or is jettisoned
- damage caused by overheating
- a state of emotional exhaustion caused by the stresses of one's work or responsibilities
- Slang a person in a state of mental or physical exhaustion, as from dissipation or overwork, and therefore fatigued, unmotivated, etc.
- A failure in a device attributable to burning, excessive heat, or friction.
- Aerospace a. The termination of rocket or jet-engine operation because of fuel exhaustion or shutoff.b. The point at which this termination occurs.
- a. Physical or emotional exhaustion, especially as a result of long-term stress or dissipation.b. One who is worn out physically or emotionally, as from long-term stress.
- Using the throttle to spin the wheels of a vehicle being held stationary, causing the spinning tires to produce smoke and burn rubber.
- (US, slang) A marijuana addict; one whose brains have been burned out.
- (psychology) The experience of long-term exhaustion and diminished interest, especially in one's career.
From the verb to burn out.