A city of southeast France on the Rhone River. It was the seat of the papacy from 1309 to 1378 and the residence of several antipopes from 1378 to 1417.x
- Settled at Avignon, and the year 1447, when Nicholas V.
- At Avignon, where he appeared in August 1352, Rienzi was tried by three cardinals, and was sentenced to death, but this judgment was not carried out, and he remained in prison in spite of appeals from Petrarch for his release.
- AVIGNON - - Nimes, Valence, Viviers, Montpellier.
- Market-gardenin is an important industry in the regions round Paris, Amiens an Angers, as it is round Toulouse, Montauban,Avignon and in southern France generally.
- Of Avignon, to the Roman obedience.