A city of western Corsica, France, on the Gulf of Ajaccio, an inlet of the Mediterranean Sea. Ajaccio was the birthplace of Napoleon Bonaparte.x
- There is also a weekly French service between Porto Torres and Ajaccio in Corsica.
- Napoleon Bonaparte (or Buonaparte, as he almost always spelt the name down the year 1796) was born at Ajaccio in Corsica on the i 5th of August 1769.
- The baptismal register of Ajaccio leaves no doubt as to the date of his birth as given above.
- The Bonapartes, on the other hand, had long concerned themselves with legal affairs at Ajaccio or in the coast towns of the island.
- In the large playroom of the house at Ajaccio, while the others amused themselves with ordinary games, Napoleon delighted most in beating a drum and wielding a sword.