- Therapeutic abortion.
- Elective abortion.
An example of an abortion is a miscarriage.
- (medicine or dated) A miscarriage. [First attested in the mid 16th century.].
- (still current) An induced abortion. [First attested in the mid 16th century.].
- Save the life of a pregnant woman.
- Preserve a pregnant woman's mental or physical health.
- Terminate a pregnancy that would result in a child with a fatal congenital disorder.
- Selectively reduce the number of fetuses born as the result of a high-risk multiple pregnancy.