A butterfly emerging from its cocoon.
- When a quiet young girl suddenly begins to find her voice and assert herself, this is an example of her emerging personality.
- When the economy finally starts to come out of a slump, this is an example of an emerging economy.
The definition of emerging is coming out, coming into view or taking shape, or surviving and coming out from a difficult situation.
Newly formed or just coming into prominence; emergent: emerging markets; an overview of the emerging states of Africa in the 1960s.
(comparative more emerging, superlative most emerging)
- Present participle of emerge.
- Cade was slowly emerging from his shell, but the cat was still as wild as ever.
- Dean could see her troubled profile in the emerging moonlight.
- He walked through the halls quickly, the emerging thoughts in his head baffling him.
- First there were the natural sciences, themselves only just emerging from a confused conception of their true method; especially those which studied the borderland of physical and mental phenomena, the medical sciences; and pre-eminently that science which has since become so popular, the science of biology.
- "Hey, boss," Jenn purred, emerging from the shadows.