nounpl. zam·in·dar·is, also zem·in·dar·ies
- The system of tax collection by zamindars.
- The area administered by a zamindar.
Origin of zamindariHindi zamīndāri from Persian from zamīndār zamindar ; see zamindar .
- (historical) In British India, a system used to collect revenues from the ryots (cultivators of agricultural land) indirectly through the zamindars, as opposed to ryotwari, where revenues were collected directly.
- (historical) The office or jurisdiction of a zamindar.
- (historical) The land possessed by a zamindar.