nounpl. zam·in·dar·is also zem·in·dar·ies
- The system of tax collection by zamindars.
- The area administered by a zamindar.
Origin of zamindariHindi zam&imacron;ndari, from Persian, from zam&imacron;ndar, zamindar; see zamindar.
- (historical) In British India, a system used to collect revenues from the ryots (cultivators of agricultural land) indirectly through the zamindars, as opposed to ryotwari, where revenues were collected directly.
- (historical) The office or jurisdiction of a zamindar.
- (historical) The land possessed by a zamindar.