- a collector of the revenue from land
- a landholder; specif., under British rule, an aristocratic landowner with extensive holdings
Origin of zamindarHindi zam?nd?r, an occupant of land, landholder ; from Persian ; from zam?n, land, earth + -d?r, holding
- An official in precolonial India assigned to collect the land taxes of his district.
- A landholder in British colonial India responsible for collecting and paying to the government the taxes on the land under his jurisdiction.
Origin of zamindarHindi zam&imacron;nd&amacron;r, from Persian : zam&imacron;n, earth; see dhghem- in Indo-European roots + -d&amacron;r, -holder; see dher- in Indo-European roots.
- (historical) a landowner, especially on the Indian subcontinent, one paying tax directly to the British government
- (historical) an official tax-collector