- The definition of a wildfire is a rapidly spreading forest or brush fire.
When someone drops a match in the forest and the trees start to flame and the fire spreads quickly, this is an example of a wildfire.
A wildfire in a forest.
- a highly destructive fire
- a highly flammable substance; specif., Greek fire
- Now Rare will-o'-the-wisp
- a large, intense fire, usually in an uninhabited area, that is difficult to bring under control
spread like wildfire
to be disseminated widely and rapidly: said as of a rumor
- A raging, rapidly spreading fire.
- Something that acts very quickly and intensely: a land swept by the wildfire of revolution.
- Lightning occurring without audible thunder.
- A luminosity that appears over swamps or marshes at night; ignis fatuus.
- A highly flammable material, such as Greek fire, once used in warfare.