go by the wayside
- The definition of wayside is by the side of the road.
An example of something wayside is a wayside rest stop that is next to the highway.
- Wayside is defined as on or near the edge of the road.
An example of the wayside is the sidewalk.
the edge of a road; area close to the side of a road
on, near, or along the side of a road
to be put aside, shelved, or discarded
The side or edge of a road, way, path, or highway.
Situated at or near the side of a road, way, path, or highway: a wayside inn.
- Situated near the side of a road or path
- We stopped at a wayside pub.
- The arrangement at a wayside station is shown at W.
- One of the most interesting topics of study is the trails along which the seasonal and annual migrations of tribes occurred, becoming in Peru the paved road, with suspension bridges and wayside inns, or tambos.
- Preached the first crusade, proclaimed a weekly truce for all Christendom, adding a guarantee of safety to all who might take refuge at a wayside cross or at the plough.
- He was being conducted to London to be tried in parliament, when his two greatest enemies, Thomas of Lancaster and Guy, earl of Warwick, took him out of the hands of his escort, and beheaded him by the wayside without any legal authority or justification.
- Then would their children grow stately as noble trees, and their thoughts sweet and pure as wayside flowers.