The Waterhouse charity school occupies a handsome set of buildings forming three sides of a quadrangle, erected in 1855.
Close by is the Natural History Museum, in a great building by Alfred Waterhouse, opened as a branch of the British Museum in 1880.
High; the town hall, including the free public library, from designs by Alfred Waterhouse, R.A., the gift of Mr J.
In 1635 the king granted the inhabitants of Halifax licence to found a workhouse in a large house given to them for that purpose by Nathaniel Waterhouse, and incorporated them under the name of the master and governors.
Nathaniel Waterhouse was appointed the first master, his successors being elected every year by the twelve governors from among themselves.