- Present participle of volley.
Variant of volley
- the simultaneous discharge of a number of firearms or other weapons
- the bullets, arrows, etc. discharged in this way
- a burst of words or acts suggestive of this: a volley of curses, questions, etc.
- the act of returning the ball, shuttlecock, etc. in certain games before it touches the ground
- the flight of the ball, etc. before it touches the ground
- loosely any extended exchange of shots, as in tennis or volleyball, esp. such an exchange in warming up for a game
Origin of volleyMiddle French volee ; from Vulgar Latin an unverified form volata ; from feminine of Classical Latin volatus, past participle of volare, to fly
transitive verbvolleyed, volleying
- to discharge in or as in a volley
- Sports to return (the ball, etc.) as a volley
- to be discharged in or as in a volley
- to return the ball, etc. as a volley
- loosely to engage in a volley