The thickness of a semi-fluid liquid such as maple syrup is an example of viscosity.
- the state or quality of being viscous
- Physics the internal friction of a fluid which makes it resist flowing past a solid surface or other layers of the fluid: symbol, ?
- a measure of this; specif., a number indicating the ability of a motor oil to maintain its viscosity with seasonal changes of temperature
Origin of viscosityMiddle English viscosite from Medieval Latin viscositas
- The condition or property of being viscous.
- Physics Coefficient of viscosity.
(countable and uncountable, plural viscosities)