A chair covered in red vinyl.
- An example of a vinyl is a covering for furniture.
- An example of a vinyl is an old Frank Sinatra record.
Vinyl is a plastic made from a chemical, or slang for a record.
- the monovalent radical CH:CH characteristic of many derivatives of ethylene, its hydride
- a resin or plastic formed from a polymerized vinyl compound
- phonograph records made of vinyl plastic, carbon black, etc.
Origin of vinylfrom Classical Latin vinum, wine (see vine) + -yl
- The univalent hydrocarbon group CH2&bond2;CH, derived from ethylene.
- Any of various compounds containing the vinyl group, typically highly reactive, easily polymerized, and used as basic materials for plastics.
- Any of various typically tough, flexible, shiny plastics, often used for coverings and clothing.
- Phonograph records considered as a group: a secondhand store that buys and sells vinyl.
Origin of vinylvin(i)- -yl
(countable and uncountable, plural vinyls)
- (chemistry) containing the vinyl radical
- Made of polyvinyl chloride.