- 1623, Sir Francis Bacon, Letter to the Decipherer
- To the garden,
- Whose western side, circummured with brick,
- Is with a vinyard back’d.
- To that vinyard is a planchéd gate
- That makes his opening by a little door
- Which from the garden to the vinyard leads.
- 1788 (1876 pub.), Mrs. Godwin Senior (as quoted by Charles Kegan Paul), William Godwin: His Friends and Contemporaries, Henry S. King and Co. pub. (1876), p. 55
- ...she may not be as the fig-tree whome the master of the vinyard came seeking fruit and found none.