- The definition of a ventricle is a cavity in an organism that lies in the brain or heart.
An example of a ventricle is a chamber in the heart that gets blood from the atria and pumps blood into the arteries.
- either of the two lower chambers of the heart which receive blood from the atria and pump it into the arteries
- any of the four small continuous cavities within the brain
Origin: Middle English from Classical Latin ventriculus, stomach, ventricle, diminutive of venter: see ventral
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
Origin: Middle English, from Old French ventricule, from Latin ventriculus, diminutive of venter, belly.
ventricle - Medical Definition
ventricle - Science Definition
- A chamber of the heart that receives blood from one or more atria and pumps it by muscular contraction into the arteries. Mammals, birds, and reptiles have two ventricles; amphibians and fish have one.
- Any of four fluid-filled cavities in the brain of vertebrate animals. The ventricles are filled with cerebrospinal fluid.
- ventricular ventricular adjective
Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.