- the papal residence, consisting of a group of buildings in Vatican City
- papal government or authority
Origin of VaticanClassical Latin Vaticanus (mons), Vatican (hill)
- of this residence, government, or authority
- designating either of the Roman Catholic Ecumenical Councils held in St. Peter's Basilica in 1869-70 (Vatican I) or 1962-65 (Vatican II)
- The official residence of the pope in Vatican City.
- The papal government; the papacy.
Origin of VaticanLatinVaticānus (mōns) , the Vatican (Hill)