Variant of underlay
- to cover, line, or extend over the bottom of: the leather is underlaid with felt
- to lay (something) under something else, esp. as a support, wedge, etc.
- to raise or support with something laid underneath: the roof must be underlaid with trusses
- Printing to provide with an underlay
Origin: ME underlein < OE underlecgan
- something laid underneath
- Printing a patch or patches of paper laid under type, cuts, etc. to raise the level of the face
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.