- a member of a people living mainly in Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, and Kazakhstan and in N Iran and Afghanistan
- the Turkic language of this people
Origin of Turkmensee Turkoman
of the Turkmens or their language or culture
nounpl. Turkmen or Turk·mens
- A native or inhabitant of Turkmenistan.
- also Tur·ko·man or Tur·co·man pl. Turkoman or Turcoman or Tur·ko·mans or Tur·co·mans A member of a traditionally nomadic Turkic people inhabiting Turkmenistan and neighboring areas in Iran and Afghanistan.
- also Turkoman or Turcoman The Turkic language of the Turkmen.
- A member of a Turkic people of northern Iraq.
- The Turkic language of the Iraqi Turkmen.
Origin of TurkmenMedieval Latin Turcomannus, from Persian turkman, Turklike, Turkmen : turk, Turk; see Turki + -man, resembling, like (from manistan, man-, to resemble; akin to Avestan mana-, measurement, manner, from ma-, to measure; akin to Sanskrit mim&imacron;te, he measures; see m&emacron;-2 in Indo-European roots).
- Turk′men, Tur′ko·man, Tur′co·man
- A person from Turkmenistan or of Turkmen descent.
- Of, from, or pertaining to Turkmenistan, the Turkmen people or the Turkmen language.