- a member of a people living mainly in Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, and Kazakhstan and in N Iran and Afghanistan
- the Turkic language of this people
Origin of Turkmensee Turkoman
of the Turkmens or their language or culture
nounpl. Turkmen, or Turk·mens
- A native or inhabitant of Turkmenistan.
- also Tur·ko·man or Tur·co·man pl. Turkoman, or Turcoman or Tur·ko·mans or Tur·co·mans A member of a traditionally nomadic Turkic people inhabiting Turkmenistan and neighboring areas in Iran and Afghanistan.
- also Turkoman or Turcoman The Turkic language of the Turkmen.
- A member of a Turkic people of northern Iraq.
- The Turkic language of the Iraqi Turkmen.
Origin of TurkmenMedieval Latin Turcomannus from Persian turkmān Turklike, Turkmen turk Turk ( from Old Turkic türk ; see Turk . ) -mān resembling, like ( from mānistan, mān- to resemble ) ( akin to Avestan mana- measurement, manner ) ( from mā- to measure ) ( akin to Sanskrit mimīte he measures ; see mē-2 in Indo-European roots.)
- Turk′men Tur′ko·man Tur′co·man
- A person from Turkmenistan or of Turkmen descent.
- Of, from, or pertaining to Turkmenistan, the Turkmen people or the Turkmen language.