trochanter definition by Webster's New World
- any of the jutting processes (in humans, two) at the upper end of the femur of many vertebrates
- the second segment from the base of an insect leg
Origin: Classical Greek trochantēr ; from trechein, to run: see troche
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- trochanteric adjective
trochanter definition by American Heritage Dictionary
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th edition Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
- Any of several bony processes on the upper part of the femur of many vertebrates.
- The second proximal segment of the leg of an insect.
Origin: New Latin, from Greek trokhantēr, ball of the hip joint, from trekhein, to run.
- tro·chanˈter·al, troˌchan·terˈic adjective
trochanter - Medical Definition
Any of several bony processes on the upper part of the femur.