- any of the jutting processes (in humans, two) at the upper end of the femur of many vertebrates
- the second segment from the base of an insect leg
Origin of trochanterClassical Greek trochantēr ; from trechein, to run: see troche
- Any of several bony processes on the upper part of the femur of many vertebrates.
- The second proximal segment of the leg of an insect.
Origin of trochanterNew Latin, from Greek trokhantēr, ball of the hip joint, from trekhein, to run.
- tro·chan′ter·al, tro′chan·ter′ic
From Ancient Greek τροχαντήρ (trokhantēr)