- any of the jutting processes (in humans, two) at the upper end of the femur of many vertebrates
- the second segment from the base of an insect leg
Origin: Gr trochantēr < trechein, to run: see troche
- trochanteric adjective
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Any of several bony processes on the upper part of the femur of many vertebrates.
- The second proximal segment of the leg of an insect.
Origin: New Latin, from Greek trokhantēr, ball of the hip joint, from trekhein, to run.
- tro·chanˈter·al, troˌchan·terˈic adjective
trochanter - Medical Definition