- a play or other literary work combining tragic and comic elements
- a situation or incident in life like this
Origin of tragicomedyFrench tragicomédie from Late Latin tragicomedia, contr. of Classical Latin tragicocomoedia: see tragic and comedy
- A work of fiction, as a play, film, or novel, combining elements of tragedy and comedy.
- The genre made up of such works.
- An incident or situation having both comic and tragic elements.
Origin of tragicomedyFrench tragicomédie from Italian tragicommedia from Late Latin tragicōmoedia short for Latin tragicocōmoedia tragicus tragic ; see tragic. cōmoedia comedy ; see comedy.
- trag′i·com′ic trag′i·com′i·cal