- a play or other literary work combining tragic and comic elements
- a situation or incident in life like this
Origin of tragicomedyFrench tragicomédie ; from Late Latin tragicomedia, contr. of Classical Latin tragicocomoedia: see tragic and amp; comedy
- A film, television show, or theatrical work combining elements of tragedy and comedy.
- The genre made up of such works.
- An incident or situation having both comic and tragic elements.
Origin of tragicomedyFrench tragicomédie, from Italian tragicommedia, from Late Latin tragic&omacron;moedia, short for Latin tragicoc&omacron;moedia : tragicus, tragic; see tragic + c&omacron;moedia, comedy; see comedy.
- trag′i·com′ic , trag′i·com′i·cal