- an instrument for determining the pitch of a tone; specif., a tuning fork or, esp., a set of tuning forks
- an instrument for measuring vapor pressure
- any of various instruments for measuring tension, as of the eyeball, or pressure, as of the blood
Origin of tonometer; from Classical Greek tonos, tone + -meter
- Any of various instruments for measuring pressure or tension.
- An instrument for measuring hydrostatic pressure within the eyeball, used to detect glaucoma.
- Music An instrument, such as a graduated set of tuning forks, used to determine the pitch or vibration rate of tones.
Origin of tonometerGreek tonos, tension; see tone + –meter.