- Present participle of tincture.
Variant of tincture
- Obsolete a dye
- a light color; tint; tinge
- a slight admixture or infusion of some substance or quality; trace, smattering, etc.
- Heraldry any color, metal, or fur
- Pharmacy a dilute solution consisting of a medicinal substance in alcohol or in alcohol and water, usually 10% to 20% by volume: tinctures are more dilute than fluid extracts and more volatile than spirits
Origin of tinctureMiddle English ; from Classical Latin tinctura ; from tinctus, past participle of tingere, to dye: see tinge