- Thrice is defined as something that happened three times, or three times stronger or better.
- An example of something thrice is an award that has been won three times; thrice awarded.
- An example of something thrice is a new detergent that cleans three times better than an earlier formula; thrice clean.
- three times
- three times as much or as many; threefold; triply
- greatly; highly
Origin of thriceMiddle English thries ; from thrie (; from Old English thriwa, thrice, akin to threo, three) + -(e)s, adv. genitive suffix, after ones (see once)
- Three times.
- In a threefold quantity or degree.
- Archaic Extremely; greatly.
Origin of thriceMiddle English thries, adverbial genitive of thrie, from Old English thrīga; see trei- in Indo-European roots.
- Unlike once and twice, thrice is somewhat dated in American usage, often used for a comical or intentionally archaic effect. Three times is the more standard and typical usage. On the other hand, once and twice are almost always preferred over one time and two times. Thrice does however retain some currency in compounds like thrice-monthly.