a steroidal male sex hormone, CHO, produced as a white, crystalline substance by isolation from animal testes, or synthesized: used in medicine
Origin of testosteronetest(is) + -o- + ster(ol) + -one
- A white crystalline steroid hormone, C19H28O2, produced primarily in the testes and responsible for the development and maintenance of male secondary sex characteristics.
- Any of several synthetic compounds that mimic the physiologic activity of testosterone, used as a drug in medical treatment and a doping agent by athletes.
Origin of testosteronetest(is) + ster(ol) + –one.
- (biochemistry, steroids) Steroid hormone produced primarily in the testes of the male; it is responsible for the development of secondary sex characteristics in the male.
- (figuratively) Manly behavior, often of an aggressive or foolishly reckless nature.
- Mother encouraged James to rely more on intelligence and less on testosterone to deal with the neighbor's son.