a steroidal male sex hormone, CHO, produced as a white, crystalline substance by isolation from animal testes, or synthesized: used in medicine
Origin of testosteronetest(is) + -o- + ster(ol) + -one
- A steroid hormone, C19H28O2, produced primarily in the testes and responsible for the development and maintenance of male secondary sex characteristics. Testosterone synthesized from plant sources, often in the form of an ester, is used in the medical treatment of testosterone deficiency.
- Any of several synthetic compounds that mimic the physiologic activity of testosterone, used as drugs in the medical treatment of testosterone deficiency and as doping agents by athletes.
Origin of testosteronetest(is) ster(ol) -one
- (biochemistry, steroids) Steroid hormone produced primarily in the testes of the male; it is responsible for the development of secondary sex characteristics in the male.
- (figuratively) Manly behavior, often of an aggressive or foolishly reckless nature.
- Mother encouraged James to rely more on intelligence and less on testosterone to deal with the neighbor's son.