- pl. teals or any of several small, short-necked, freshwater wild ducks (genus Anas)
- a dark greenish-blue or grayish-blue coloralso teal blue
Origin of tealMiddle English tele, akin to Dutch taling, Middle Low German telink, teal
nounpl. teal, or teals
- Any of several small dabbling ducks, chiefly of the genus Anas, often having brightly marked plumage.
- A moderate or dark bluish green to greenish blue.
Origin of tealMiddle English tele
(comparative tealer, superlative tealest)
- (colour) having a bluish-green colour
Probably from an unrecorded Old English word cognate with Middle Dutch teling (“teal") Middle Low German telink, from West Germanic *taili. As the name of a shade of dark greenish-blue like the color patterns on the fowl's head and wings, it is attested from 1923.
- (historical) Tasman Empire Airways Limited, the forerunner to Air New Zealand