- The definition of a tatter is a shredded rag or torn piece of clothing.
An example of a tatter is a castaway's clothing after three months on a desert island.
- Tatter is to shred, or leave in rags.
A child tearing up a pair of pants while they play roughly at the park is an example of tatter.
A girl wearing tattered jeans.
tatter definition by Webster's New World
- a torn and hanging shred or piece, as of a garment
- a separate shred or scrap; rag
- torn, ragged clothes
Origin: Middle English probably ; from Old Norse töturr, rags, tatters, akin to German zotte, tuft ; from Indo-European base an unverified form dā(i)-, to cut out, divide from source tide
tatter definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A torn and hanging piece of cloth; a shred.
- tatters Torn and ragged clothing; rags.
Origin: Middle English tater, of Scandinavian origin.