- The definition of a tatter is a shredded rag or torn piece of clothing.
An example of a tatter is a castaway's clothing after three months on a desert island.
- Tatter is to shred, or leave in rags.
A child tearing up a pair of pants while they play roughly at the park is an example of tatter.
A girl wearing tattered jeans.Licensed from iStockPhoto
- a torn and hanging shred or piece, as of a garment
- a separate shred or scrap; rag
- torn, ragged clothes
Origin: ME, probably from Old Norse tturr, rags, tatters, akin to German zotte, tuft from Indo-European base an unverified form dā(i)-, to cut out, divide from source tide
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- A torn and hanging piece of cloth; a shred.
- tatters Torn and ragged clothing; rags.
Origin: Middle English tater, of Scandinavian origin.