nounpl. Taiwanese Taiwanese
- a. A native or inhabitant of Taiwan.b. A person of Taiwanese ancestry.
- The variety of Chinese spoken on Taiwan.
(comparative more Taiwanese, superlative most Taiwanese)
- Of or pertaining to Taiwan.
Taiwan and Taiwanese are both widely used as attributives, e.g. Taiwan/Taiwanese culture, the Taiwan/Taiwanese government, Taiwan/Taiwanese food, etc.
- A person from Taiwan; usually plural.
- The popular name of the variant of Hokkien spoken in Taiwan, the native language of the Hoklo.
Variant of Taiwan
- island of China, off the SE coast: a Japanese territory (1895-1945)
- political unit consisting of this island, the Pescadores, Quemoy, Matsu, and other small island groups, governed as a separate country since 1949 and officially called the Republic of China: regarded as a province of China by the People's Republic of China: 13,970 sq mi (36,182 sq km); pop. 21,000,000; cap. Taipei