The definition of surreal is seeming like a dream or fantasy.
An example of surreal is the experience of seeing a spirit.
- of, related to, or characteristic of surrealism
- of or like a dream; fantastic, hallucinatory, bizarre, etc.
Origin of surrealback-formation ; from surrealism
- Having qualities attributed to or associated with surrealism: “Even with most facilities shut down &ellipsis; a few mavericks managed to slip into the park to sample the almost surreal emptiness before the shutdown ended.” (Peter H. King).
- Having an oddly dreamlike quality.
Origin of surrealBack-formation from surrealism.
(comparative more surreal, superlative most surreal)
- (mathematics) surreal number
Back-formation from surrealism.