- Statistics are defined as numerical data, and is the field of math that deals with the collection, tabulation and interpretation of numerical data.
- An example of statistics is a report of numbers saying how many followers of each religion there are in a particular country.
- An example of statistics is a math class offered in high schools and colleges.
- The definition of a statistic is a number, or a person who is an unnamed piece of data to be studied.
- When you have data on the average salary and the average number of children in a society, each of these different data points is an example of a statistic.
- When you are afraid you will be seen as just one of many generic teen mothers who has messed up her life, this is an example of a time when you are afraid of being a statistic.
- A numerical piece of information.
- A calculated numerical value (such as the sample mean) that characterizes some aspect of a sample set of data, and that is often meant to estimate the true value of a corresponding parameter (such as the population mean) in an underlying population.
- One viewed solely as a piece of statistical or numerical information: got laid off and became another statistic in the slumping economy.
Origin of statisticUltimately from New Latin statisticus of statecraft ; see statistics .
(comparative more statistic, superlative most statistic)
- Alternative spelling of statistical.
- A single item in a statistical study.
- A quantity calculated from the data in a sample, which characterises an important aspect in the sample (such as mean or standard deviation).
- A person, or personal event, reduced to being an item of statistical information.
- By dying from an overdose, he became just another statistic.
Back-formation from statistics.
- One infamous statistic about the Golden Gate Bridge is that it is the most popular place in the United States to commit suicide and one of the most popular places in the world.
- Fantasia released an inspirational book Life is Not a Fairy Tale detailing her inner strength and choices it took to keep from becoming another statistic.
- Although you find yourself another statistic for girls in your area who also have had sex at a young age, this too doesn't mean you're like everyone else.
- Do your homework before you adopt to make sure your Rottie isn't another statistic, and you will be rewarded with love and loyalty for many years.
- Likewise, there are too many seniors whose health and fitness level is not where it ought to be, and steps must be taken to improve that statistic.