- a person who deals in staple goods
- a person who staples (wool, etc.)
- any of various devices or machines for driving staples through paper, etc., as for binding pamphlets
- a heavier device for stapling insulation, upholstery fabric, etc. in placealso called staple gun
- A device which binds together sheets of paper by driving a thin metal staple through the sheets and simultaneously folding over the ends of the staple against the back surface of the paper. Compare staple gun.
- (dated) A dealer in staple goods.
- (dated) One employed to sort wool according to its staple.
Part or all of this entry has been imported from the 1913 edition of Websterâ€™s Dictionary, which is now free of copyright and hence in the public domain. The imported definitions may be significantly out of date, and any more recent senses may be completely missing.