- a person who deals in staple goods
- a person who staples (wool, etc.)
- any of various devices or machines for driving staples through paper, etc., as for binding pamphlets
- a heavier device for stapling insulation, upholstery fabric, etc. in placealso called staple gun
- A device which binds together sheets of paper by driving a thin metal staple through the sheets and simultaneously folding over the ends of the staple against the back surface of the paper. Compare staple gun.
- (dated) A dealer in staple goods.
- (dated) One employed to sort wool according to its staple.
Part or all of this entry has been imported from the 1913 edition of Webster's Dictionary, which is now free of copyright and hence in the public domain. The imported definitions may be significantly out of date, and any more recent senses may be completely missing.