a chronic, chiefly tropical disease characterized by defective absorption of food, anemia, gastrointestinal disorders, etc.
Origin of sprueDutch spruw
- an opening through which molten material, as metal or plastic, is poured into a mold
- the waste piece of metal, etc. cast in such an opening
Origin of sprue; from uncertain or unknown; perhaps
- The hole through which molten material is channeled into a mold.
- The waste material filling or protruding from this hole after hardening.
- The usually plastic rod or framework that secures molded objects, such as model parts or game pieces, before their first use.
Origin of spruePerhaps of Scots origin.
A chronic, chiefly tropical disease characterized by diarrhea, emaciation, and anemia, caused by defective absorption of nutrients from the intestinal tract.
Origin of sprueDutch spruw, from Middle Dutch sprouwe.
From Dutch spruw, sprouw.