The definition of a sporter is a person who participates in sports or plays competitive games.
An example of a sporter is a high school student who swims, plays volleyball and softball.
- Someone who sports something
sport + -er
Variant of sport
- any activity or experience that gives enjoyment or recreation; pastime; diversion
- such an activity, esp. when competitive, requiring more or less vigorous bodily exertion and carried on, sometimes as a profession, according to some traditional form or set of rules, whether outdoors, as football, golf, etc., or indoors, as basketball, bowling, etc.
- fun or play
- an object of ridicule; laughingstock
- a thing or person buffeted about, as though a plaything
- ☆ Informal a gambler
- a person who is sportsmanlike, easygoing, or companionable: be a sport!
- a person judged according to his ability to take loss, defeat, teasing, etc.: a good (or poor) sport
- ☆ Informal a pleasure-loving, showy person; flashy fellow
- Obsolete amorous trifling or sexual play
- Biol. a plant or animal showing some marked variation from the normal type, usually as a result of mutation
Origin of sportMiddle English sporte, aphetic for disport
- Informal to wear or display, esp. with unnecessary show: to sport a loud tie
- Obsolete to amuse (oneself, etc.)
- to play or frolic
- to engage in a sport or sports
- to joke or jest
- to trifle, dally, or play (with)
- to mock or ridicule someone or something
- Biol. to vary markedly from the normal type; mutate
- sporting (sense )
- suitable for informal, casual wear; not dressy: a sport coat
in sportor for sport
in joke or jest; not in earnest
make sport of
to mock or ridicule; poke fun at