- The definition of a sounding board is a person you run things by, or someone you turn to for advice.
An example of a sounding board is your mother, to whom you tell problems or ideas and have discussions with about those ideas or about possible solutions to the problems you are having.
- soundboard (sense )
- a structure over or behind a rostrum, stage, etc. designed to reflect sound toward the audience
- a person or thing used for spreading ideas around
- a person on whom one tests one's ideas, opinions, etc.
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Music a. A thin board forming the upper portion of the resonant chamber in an instrument, such as a violin or piano, and serving to increase resonance.b. A structure placed behind or over a podium or platform to reflect music or a speaker's voice to an audience. Also called soundboard.
- A person or group whose reactions to an idea, opinion, or point of view serve as a measure of its effectiveness or acceptability.
- A device or means serving to spread or popularize an idea or a point of view.