- The definition of a sophomore is someone who is in his or her second year of high school or college.
A tenth-grade student is an example of a sophomore.
- a student in the second year of college or the tenth grade in high school
- ☆ a person in his or her second year in some enterprise
Origin: altered (from Glassical Greek sophos, wise plush mōros, foolish) from older sophumer from sophum, sophism, probably from Middle English sophime, sophism
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- a. A second-year student in a U.S. college.b. A tenth-grade student in a U.S. high school.
- A person in the second year of carrying out an endeavor.
- Of or relating to the second year of an endeavor, especially of attending a school or college.
- Being the second in a series: a singer's sophomore album.
Origin: Alteration (probably influenced by Greek sophos, wise, and mōros, stupid) of sophumer, from obsolete sophom, sophism, dialectic exercise, variant of sophism.