The definition of sonic is something related to sound or the speed of sound.
An example of something sonic is a boom from an airplane that broke the speed of sound.
- of or having to do with sound
- designating or of a speed equal to the speed of sound (about 1,220 km per hour, or 760 mph, through air at sea level at room temperature)
Origin of sonicfrom Classical Latin sonus, sound + -ic
- Of or relating to audible sound: a sonic wave.
- Having a speed approaching or being that of sound in air, about 1,220 kilometers (760 miles) per hour at sea level.
- Slang Extremely exciting and fast-paced: a sonic lifestyle.
Origin of sonicFrom Latin sonus a sound ; see swen- in Indo-European roots.
From Latin sonus.