intransitive verb-·fled, -·fling
- to breathe audibly and with difficulty or by constant sniffing, as a dog in trailing; sniff or sniffle
- to speak or sing in a nasal tone
- Rare to whine
Origin of snufflefrequentative of snuff, verb
- the act or sound of snuffling
- a nasal tone or twang
verbsnuf·fled, snuf·fling, snuf·fles
- To breathe noisily, as through a blocked nose.
- To sniff, especially repeatedly, as a dog.
- The act or sound of snuffling.
- snuffles The sniffles. Used with the.
Origin of snuffleProbably from Dutch snuffelen to sniff about probably frequentative of snuffen to sniff from Middle Dutch snuiven
(third-person singular simple present snuffles, present participle snuffling, simple past and past participle snuffled)
- An act of snuffling; sniffing loudly